Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideal Senior Care Home
Family Forums > Family Life And Health Forums > Senior Issues Forum
AdultCareHome
What do you think a care home should be..?

What I believe is an ideal adult care home must be equipped with the following facilities:

• All rooms should be ventilated and spacious enough
  • Social, cultural, educational, health and exercise activities
  • 24/7 awake and working Care staff
  • Registered Nurse consultation

An adult care home's main goal should be to bring them to the joy of this world. It would be better to engage them in some activities which could make them happy as well as healthy.

lovepril

if your very particular with the facilities of home care, you must see it for your self so that you'll be at peace if you let your parent stay in there.
kevinbrown10
Hi adultcarehome, it is a nice post to read from you. The points you added are quite remarkable and I also think quite same. I just want to add a point that a good care home will provide also all the residents required freedom. It simply means that they will not impose anything which is not necessary for residents to do and family members will be allowed to spend time with elders. Sometimes elder persons get irritated quite soon when this type of things happens. Good care homes will not bound you if you are in good physical and mental condition and they will ask about your priority of living independently or assisted living. One more thing a good care home will have the minimum noise level because noise is the other thing which can make an elder annoy.
Riley30
I agree, you should visit the facility first. If possible, try to do an ocular investigation or research first. Health care centers (like www.emersonhealthcarecenter.com), specially those that care for seniors, should be comfortable, but it doesn't end in the appearance per se, The staff should also make residents feel at home and encourage them by initiating social activities.
waterscape
I've been providing reminiscence and music services to mainly long term care seniors for the last 12 years. It's really amazing reading the advertisements some facilites put out about the quality care , etc., they offer with all their amenities. Many of the residents I see have lost mobility and the power of language. But as I see it they are given basically a roof and meals in response to their situations but nobody touches them. I will see a resident for a few months and then he or she is gone. I remember that person would sit there in a wheel chair for long hours in idleness. Somebody would come over and offer some juice and say a few words. That's about it. I'm sure they had bath care etc. but I never heard or saw of any evidence of anybody massaging them using essential oils. I believe that many seniors especially suffer from sensory depravations (olfactory) and are literally left to shrivell up and die. From my experience that's exactly what's happening. What a dismal ending for someone who lived to reminisce but can't! I'm sad to say this society spends more on pet care than on its elders. Potentially, many inbound seniors could have a quality longer life but some of us are not so lucky.
kevinbrown10
QUOTE (waterscape @ May 14 2011, 09:06 PM) *
I've been providing reminiscence and music services to mainly long term care seniors for the last 12 years. It's really amazing reading the advertisements some facilites put out about the quality care , etc., they offer with all their amenities. Many of the residents I see have lost mobility and the power of language. But as I see it they are given basically a roof and meals in response to their situations but nobody touches them. I will see a resident for a few months and then he or she is gone. I remember that person would sit there in a wheel chair for long hours in idleness. Somebody would come over and offer some juice and say a few words. That's about it. I'm sure they had bath care etc. but I never heard or saw of any evidence of anybody massaging them using essential oils. I believe that many seniors especially suffer from sensory depravations (olfactory) and are literally left to shrivell up and die. From my experience that's exactly what's happening. What a dismal ending for someone who lived to reminisce but can't! I'm sad to say this society spends more on pet care than on its elders. Potentially, many inbound seniors could have a quality longer life but some of us are not so lucky.

Yes, I do also agree with what has been said by you and that is the thing which makes any care center best or worst just because elders also want to have proper emotional support but our society is not taking the elder care and elder health so seriously. If you are taking care of an elder then you have to understand him and his feelings then only you can treat him. I have seen only few care centers who are delivering elders a proper kind of care while others are just involving in elder abusing.
alanparks
QUOTE (AdultCareHome @ Dec 23 2010, 05:37 AM) *
What do you think a care home should be..?

What I believe is an ideal adult care home must be equipped with the following facilities:

• All rooms should be ventilated and spacious enough
  • Social, cultural, educational, health and exercise activities
  • 24/7 awake and working Care staff
  • Registered Nurse consultation

An adult care home's main goal should be to bring them to the joy of this world. It would be better to engage them in some activities which could make them happy as well as healthy.

AdultCareHome,

This is a fantastic question! I'm glad you asked. I agree with all of your necessities to have a great adult home care. Putting a loved one in adult home care is a tough decision to make. I think the most important part of a great adult home care is to have a safe and loving environment. This is their home after all. You want it to feel like home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.