Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overwhelmed
Family Forums > Family Life And Health Forums > Abuse Recovery Help
OceanOfNoise
I'm trying to start the recovery process but I'm trying to recoverfrom more than just sexual abuse (incest). And I don't know what to focus on it's really overwhelming. Not only am I an abuse survivor but I'm Also in recovery from drug addiction. I just completed a 28 day inpatient rehab program august 27th and am still clean. But it's not just that. I found out about 2.5 years ago that I am HIV+. So as you can tell I have a lot on my plate. I don't know where to begin. My counselor says to hold off until I have like 2 years sobriety to work on abuse counseling or I might relapse. But that and the HIV diagnosis is what is bothering me the most. I have persistent flashbacks and a definite preoccupation with dying and death. Not suicidal ideations or thoughts just I feel like I am going to lose so much of my life to this disease -- it's kind of hard to explain. I'm limited with time so I'll explain more in depth later. I just keep thinking about getting sick and dying of AIDS.

I dunno I guess I just could use a few words from a friend or need someone to talk to about this stuff
myturnnow
hello, i am sorry... you seem to have alot of stuff going on in your life right now. i think your right with wanting to deal with your abusive childhood and your hiv. i think dealing with your issues may cause you to relapse but if you have strength and you stay strong hopefully you wont relapse but i think not dealing with it for another 2 years would definately not help... i would suggest going to a different counsellor and seeing what they suggest you do... im so sorry for how you are feeling.. you do seem to have alot of issues on your plate. i hope you stay strong smile.gif
notalone
QUOTE (OceanOfNoise @ Oct 7 2010, 09:00 PM) *
I'm trying to start the recovery process but I'm trying to recoverfrom more than just sexual abuse (incest). And I don't know what to focus on it's really overwhelming. Not only am I an abuse survivor but I'm Also in recovery from drug addiction. I just completed a 28 day inpatient rehab program august 27th and am still clean. But it's not just that. I found out about 2.5 years ago that I am HIV+. So as you can tell I have a lot on my plate. I don't know where to begin. My counselor says to hold off until I have like 2 years sobriety to work on abuse counseling or I might relapse. But that and the HIV diagnosis is what is bothering me the most. I have persistent flashbacks and a definite preoccupation with dying and death. Not suicidal ideations or thoughts just I feel like I am going to lose so much of my life to this disease -- it's kind of hard to explain. I'm limited with time so I'll explain more in depth later. I just keep thinking about getting sick and dying of AIDS.

I dunno I guess I just could use a few words from a friend or need someone to talk to about this stuff

You should deal with what is bothering YOU the most. Get a second opinion. Talk to your family doctor if you have one. Is there an HIV clinic in your area? If so, they may have a solution. You would get a lot of compassion there for sure. I will stress though, don't put it off for any length of time. Remember that your body is affected by your stress level and well being. The longer you go without counseling, the harder it will be on your body as well. Be well.
OceanOfNoise
QUOTE (notalone @ Oct 10 2010, 08:18 PM) *
You should deal with what is bothering YOU the most. Get a second opinion. Talk to your family doctor if you have one. Is there an HIV clinic in your area? If so, they may have a solution. You would get a lot of compassion there for sure. I will stress though, don't put it off for any length of time. Remember that your body is affected by your stress level and well being. The longer you go without counseling, the harder it will be on your body as well. Be well.

Yes I am a client at the clinic and am on meds, doing well in that regards. I can speak with the social workers about my needs but she doesn't seem to help much. We have a special counseling center here just for sexual abuse so I'm going to seek help there soon it's my best option I've tried in the past many times starting therapy there but always back out
notalone
QUOTE (OceanOfNoise @ Oct 10 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Yes I am a client at the clinic and am on meds, doing well in that regards. I can speak with the social workers about my needs but she doesn't seem to help much. We have a special counseling center here just for sexual abuse so I'm going to seek help there soon it's my best option I've tried in the past many times starting therapy there but always back out

Ok, I tried responding but it wouldn't let me before. I sent you a private message. If you didn't see it, this is what I said.

Yes, for sure go to the other department of the clinic for help. Try to find the strength, please. Dig deep. The more sympathetic and empathetic ears, the better. Set up an appt. and don't look back. Keep us updated. Good luck smile.gif
OceanOfNoise
I have decided to go ahead and seek counseling through the sexual assault counseling center instead of the regular behavioral health clinic. I think I will benefit more that way.

Thank you for your words of support everyone<3
notalone
QUOTE (OceanOfNoise @ Nov 7 2010, 12:50 AM) *
I have decided to go ahead and seek counseling through the sexual assault counseling center instead of the regular behavioral health clinic. I think I will benefit more that way.

Thank you for your words of support everyone<3

Excellent. I'm sure things will take a turn for the better going this route. Be well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.